Friday, April 17, 2009

Just Call Me Bailey Crocker

I loooovvveeee to cook. It's really fun, soothing and a great source of entertainment for me. I like to freeball it though and sometimes things just turn out kind of ehh...and Ian has put in numerous requests for me to start using a recipe. Some things he is right about, but this particular dish, no need for a recipe!

I went to Sunflower Market this past weekend and stocked up on some of the canned goods that were on special. $00.79 cans of tomato sauce and diced tomatos are just too good to pass up!! I bought some large shells, spinach, ricotta and mozzarella cheeses, and a huge loaf of bread. We'd been planning on having Friday night dinner in and with the weather rain/sleet/snow-ing it seemed like the perfect meal!!

I put the sauce with garlic (YUM!) basil, oregano, onion powder, salt and pepper to a simmer for a few hours to get the flavors going. Then, I simmered the spinach adding salt, pepper and garlic until it was soft. I then split the spinach into 1/3 and 2/3 parts and added the 1/3 into the sauce. I shredded the cheeses and mixed them together with the 2/3 spinach for the stuffing. Boiled the shells until they were al dente and could be seperated easily to stuff. I drained the shells and put some of the sauce in the bottom of an 8x8 Pyrex dish (enough to cover) and filled the shells and put them in the pan. I covered with a layer of cheese, then more sauce, then more cheese. I'll bake it for 20 min covered and 10 min uncovered until the cheese gets crispy and browns a little. I also whipped some butter, parmesan cheese and garlic together and sliced the bread to make some garlic bread.

I've gotten everything all made so the flavors can develop more and it can get really ooey gooey!!

No comments:

Post a Comment